Jill and Garys story

Jill and Garys Story

We have been watching these Barn Owls in our back field for three and a half years now. First they were in a palm tree directly behind our house. They had two owlets fledge. Later, neighbors cut down the tree. Next, they moved to the palm tree to the south of our yard. That summer we got a really windy day and 5 babies fell out and died before we found them. Two survived and fledged. That is when we put up an owl box on a pole. I think they did not use it as they were already established in the tree. This last summer 2010, four babies fell and died. We knew there was one remaining baby in the nest because we could hear it in the tree, so every single night we went outside to watch the parents bring it food. One night, we saw Willow fly straight to the ground at dusk. We walked out into the field and there was the baby on the ground. At the time, we did not know that owls can climb back up into the tree. We also knew there was a neighborhood cat and coyotes that prowl the field, so Gary ran and got gloves and picked it up. We put him in our yard trying to figure out what to do! He was so ready to fly but was not able to gain the height needed. Meanwhile, Bear Grylls and Willow were watching from the neighbor’s roof next door. We decided to let them help the baby (at least he wasn't in the field with the coyotes). The next morning we woke up to find him at our back door! There was a half of a gopher in the yard, so we knew the parents fed him that night. We knew we couldn't just leave him there, so we put him in our garden shed and removed the back window. He slept on the cot in there all day! We positioned a camera in the window and watched the parents bring him food that night. The next night he climbed out the window and was miraculously in his own tree the next morning! He stayed in the nest about 3 days and then started taking practice flights from palm tree to palm tree. He would often fly too low and have to climb up the tree trunk to get high enough to do it again. We stood watching quietly in our yard, inwardly cheering him on as he got better and better! We almost cried when he mastered flying. He continued to beg loudly for food for another month and then he was gone! Now I cried.

Bear Grylls and Willow continued to live in that tree until about 2 months ago, when huge chunks of palm fronds fell out of the tree, exposing the nice perch they used for their nest. Now that it was uninhabitable, they moved to the palm tree on the north side of our house. That is when we built the owl box from the Hungry Owl Project's plans because it was apparent they weren't going to use the one we had on a pole (plus we wanted to double our chances!) Now while Bear Grylls would hang out in the palm tree, he could not miss the new box.... it was right in front of him. We could hear them mating in the tree so I was sure they had already chosen their new site and wouldn't move. But we got some heavy rains that soaked their palm tree and I think that beautiful new box nestled in the pine tree was looking pretty warm and cozy because one morning four days after Christmas we woke up to find the two of them snugly sleeping inside . One week later, they had their first egg!

Although extremely grateful that we had barn owls living on both sides of our house, I prayed for owls to come live in our box! So I give God the glory for these owls! They are His creatures anyways!

Psalm 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

Friday, May 6, 2011

The Chat will remain up!

Last night as we were all saying our sad goodbyes on chat I realized how close we have all become. We have shared each other's joy, sorrow, laughter and tears. We watched the miracle of life through two beautiful barn owls. We have encouraged and motivated each other and just plain been there for each other. We are a place you can go to get a kind word and acceptance. I cannot tell you how many countless smiles you gave me as I came into the chatroom only to be greeted by hearts, hugs, and the unconditional love I felt from everyone. This quote from Chatterchopz to her mom Dotrot sums it all up as to why the chat is staying up!

Chatterchopz said, "Mom, The chat folks love me. My family loves me but they have to 'cause they're family. The folks at church love me, but God says that they have to, but these folks love me just 'cause I'm me."


  1. I rarely chat, but I stop in from time to time to check on everyone. The owls have brought lots of people together this past year, and this family is one of the kindest. Thank you Jill and Gary and everyone

  2. Jill can you let me know if the Grylls family returns. I have a difficult time getting into chat. I got a new IPhone and the Ustrem is goofy on the newer modal. Only my old laptop can get you all. I check here everyday. Hope you and Gary are enjoying your summer. My son is getting better each day. He has a new car and in one week he will be able to drive it full time. Let the chatters know about Trev. They were a big help to me. Thanks DianaJoe